One of the most important aspects in obtaining car insurance quotes within the state of Alabama is establishing an understanding of the mandatory minimum levels of coverage required before a vehicle can used on state roads and highways. A comprehensive understanding of the responsibilities associated with these requirements can have a significant impact on the overall price of a policy.
Financial liability is an important factor in relation to auto insurance in Alabama and the minimum state requirements are as follows:
- $25,000 worth of bodily injury liability per person
- $50,000 worth of bodily injury liability per accident
- $25,000 of property damage liability coverage
These minimum requirements should be remembered in all instances where car insurance quotes are being gathered.
Proof of Coverage
Motorists are obliged to carry proof of insurance coverage with them at all times and this can usually be provided in several different forms. Any of the following items can be offered to provide validation of an auto insurance purchase:
- A permanent or temporary card confirming coverage supplied by the insurance provider
- A premium receipt or binder
- The declaration page of an existing policy
- The policy certificate
- Proof of vehicle purchase within the previous 60 day period alongside an up-to-date insurance card
- A bill of sale if the vehicle is manufactured prior to 1975
- A title application for the bill of sale if the vehicle is manufactured after 1975
- A rental agreement copy of insurance if the vehicle is hired
Alternatives to Car insurance
Instead of purchasing car insurance, motorists are able to post a bond to the value of $50,000 or a cash deposit to the same value.